Peter Steele once said: “I like to put on hardcore when I have to clean my apartment, which I hate to do, but it’s motivational. I like old heavy metal when I’m outside working on my car. Music has definite functions for me”. Unfortunately, we don’t know what this Jolly Green Giant would say about grindcore, but luckily, we do know how some top representatives of the world’s most extreme scene see Type O Negative.
Blast No.1 is a tribute to Type O Negative, in which various death, grind, crust, d-beat and powerviolance bands present their interpretation of songs written by Brooklyn’s most characteristic group ever. It’s a crazy blend of blast beats, harsh guitars and growls mixed with melancholy and atmosphere that was always an essential part of ToN’s music. This tribute album is brave, vulgar and extending the boundaries of both grindcore and Peter Steele’s songs. As a matter of fact, many members of most noisy bands on the planet are really dedicated fans of ToN music: genre defying crust pioneers from UK – HELLBASTARD, Polish grind veterans – SCHISMOPATHIC, 1st league Southeast Asia reps – PROLETAR or Ireland’s most deadly weapon – ABADDON INCARNATE … to name a few.
In a tribute that blends extreme genres like grind, crust, D-beat, powerviolence, and death metal, “Blast No.1 – Blastbeat Tribute To Type O Negative” will be released on September 22, 2023. The project, meticulously curated by 783Punx, brings together 19 riveting covers by some of the world’s most volatile bands.
Listen to the album at this location: https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2023/09/04/album-premiere-blast-no-1-blastbeat-tribute-to-type-o-negative/
In a unique tribute, bands take iconic, often slower, Type O Negative songs and transform them into fast-paced grindcore tracks. “Take a slow and long Type O Negative song and convert it into a short and super-fast grindcore song, but try to keep it as recognizable as possible,” says Edi of 783Punx.
A particular highlight of the release is its visual element, blending classic Type O Negative style with familiar symbols to every blastcore fan. Ada from Bite The Dust is credited for the artwork.
The tribute comes in multiple formats and editions, including a standard CD, a deluxe CD box set, and various tape and LP editions. Each offering includes unique features like 24-page booklets, special stickers, and even a T-shirt bundle.
- CD: Jewel case with a 24-page booklet featuring band pictures and special ToN album cover interpretations.
- Deluxe CD Boxset: 7-inch pizza box containing a deluxe CD, two postcards, and a double-sided, full-color, ethically sourced T-shirt.
- Tape: Comes in two versions—retail and band exclusive—packed in a plastic case with a hype sticker and J-Card.
- Deluxe LP: 180g. black LP housed in a heavy gatefold, with a D-side screen print. Additionally, it comes with 12x12cm stickers and postcards.
01. KANNIBAL KRIS (Germany) – Are You Afraid
02. TASK FORCE BEER (Germany) – Prelude To Agony
03. SCHISMOPATHIC (Poland) – I Don’t Wanna Be Me
04. HELLBASTARD (England) – We Hate Everyone
05. DISHELL (Poland) – Xero Tolerance
06. VERANO’S DOGS (Italy) – Love You To Death
07. HERIDA PROFUNDA (Poland) – All Hallows Eve
08. BOTTOM (Poland) – Be My Druidess
09. GENDO IKARI (Scotland) – Kill You Tonight
10. PLAGUE BEARER (Poland) – Creepy Green Light
11. PROLETAR (Indonesia) – Angry Inch
12. BOYCOTT THE BAPTIST (England) – Everything Dies
13. WILL COPE (Lithuania) – Some Stupid Tomorrow
14. ASSUR (Belgium) – Christian Woman
15. EMISSAIRES OF SIN (Wales) – Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All)
16. HOT COPS (England) – My Girlfriend’s Girlfriend
17. SKITZO (USA) – Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty Of Infidelity
18. ABADDON INCARNATE (Ireland) – Dead Again
19. THE ATROCITY EXHIBIT (England) – Der Untermensch
All these variants can be preordered now on 783Punx’s Linktree.